1 the result of the printing process; "I want to see it in black and white" [syn: black and white]
2 a picture or design printed from an engraving
3 a visible indication made on a surface; "some previous reader had covered the pages with dozens of marks"; "paw prints were everywhere" [syn: mark]
4 a copy of a movie on film (especially a particular version of it)
5 a fabric with a dyed pattern pressed onto it (usually by engraved rollers)
6 a printed picture produced from a photographic negative [syn: photographic print]
1 put into print; "The newspaper published the news of the royal couple's divorce"; "These news should not be printed" [syn: publish]
2 write as if with print; not cursive
3 make into a print; "print the negative"
4 reproduce by printing [syn: impress]
- of, relating to, or writing for printed publications
- To copy something onto
a surface, especially by
- Print the draft double-spaced so we can mark changes between the lines.
- The circuitry is printed onto the semiconductor surface.
- In the context of "transitive or intransitive": To write very clearly, especially, to write
the letters as in
- Print your name here and sign below.
- I'm only in grade 2, so I only know how to print.
- To publish in a
book, newspaper, etc.
- How could they print an unfounded rumour like that?
to copy something on a surface, especially by machine
- Chinese: 印刷 (yìnshuà)
- Dutch: drukken, afdrukken, printen
- Finnish: painaa, tulostaa
- French: imprimer
- German: drucken
- Hungarian: nyomtatni
- Icelandic: prenta
- Italian: stampare
- Japanese: 印刷する (いんさつする, insatsu suru)
- Korean: 인쇄하다 (inswaehada)
- Norwegian: trykke
- Portuguese: imprimir
- Russian: печатать (pečátat’)
- Spanish: imprimir
- Swedish: trycka
- Books and other
material created by printing
presses, considered collectively or as a medium.
- Three citations are required for each meaning, including one in print.
- TV and the internet haven't killed print.
- Clear handwriting, especially,
writing without connected letters as in cursive.
- Write in print using block letters.
- The letters forming
the text of a document.
- The print is too small for me to read.
- A visible impression on a surface.
- Using a crayon, the girl made a print of the leaf under the page.
- A fingerprint.
- Did the police find any prints at the scene?
- A footprint.
- In the context of "visual art": A picture that was created in multiple copies by printing.
- In the context of "photography": A photograph that has been printed onto paper from the negative.
- In the context of "motion pictures": A copy of a film that can be projected.
- Cloth that has had a pattern of dye printed onto it.
result of printing process
- Output of a computer printer.
Print may refer to:
- Printing, mostly using a printing press
- Printmaking, various processes for producing multiple copies of works of art by printing
- Old master print, a product of printmaking, such as an engraving, etching or woodcut, in the European (as opposed to eg Asian) tradition, especially those made before 1830
- Textile printing
- Input/output, computer output on a screen or on paper
- Photographic print, i.e. photograph or photo
- Print (filmmaking), e.g. distribution print
- A BASIC programming language command that generates text in text modes. Derived from the text printing process on teletype terminals prior to refreshing displays
- Print (magazine), a bimonthly magazine about visual culture and design
print in German: Print
print in Simple English: Print
Ditto copy, Photostat, Xerox, Xerox copy, abstract, abstraction, altarpiece, alveolation, alveolus, aquatint, ascender, autolithograph, back, backlash, backwash, bastard type, be a printmaker, beard, bed, belly, bevel, black and white, black letter, blaze, blaze a trail, blemish, block, block print, blotch, blow up, blowup, blueprint, body, boss, brand, bring out, bump, cap, capital, carve, case, catch a likeness, chalk, chalk up, character, characterize, chart, check, check off, chisel, choice of words, chromolithograph, cicatrize, clout, collage, colophon, color print, concavity, confirm, contact print, contact printing, convexity, copperplate, copperplate print, copy, counter, crayon engraving, crease, cribble, crosshatch, cut, cyanotype, cyclorama, dactylogram, dactylograph, dapple, dash, daub, deep-dye, define, delimit, delineate, demarcate, dent, descender, develop, diagram, dimple, dint, diptych, discolor, dot, draw, em, embed, embossment, en, enchase, engraft, engrave, engravement, engraving, enlarge, enlargement, entrench, establish, etch, etching, excrescence, face, facsimile, fat-faced type, fix, fleck, font, footmark, footprint, footstep, force, fossil footprint, found, freckle, fresco, furrow, gash, get out, glossy, gouge, graphotype, grave, groove, ground, hatch, hectograph, hectograph copy, hit off, hologram, honeycomb, ichnite, ichnolite, icon, illumination, illustration, image, impact, implant, impress, impression, imprint, incise, indent, indentation, indention, indenture, infix, ingrain, inscribe, issue, italic, jam, language, lantern slide, letter, letterpress, ligature, likeness, limn, line, linoleum-block print, lithograph, lodge, logotype, lower case, lump, mackle, majuscule, make a mark, make prints, map, mark, mark off, mark out, matte, mezzotint, microcopy, microprint, mimeograph, mimeograph copy, miniature, minuscule, montage, mosaic, mottle, multigraph, mural, negative, nick, notate, notch, offcut, offprint, offset, overprint, pack, pad, paint, panorama, paw print, pawmark, pencil, pepper, photo, photocopy, photograph, photogravure, photostatic copy, phrasing, pi, pic, pica, picture, picturize, pimple, pit, pix, plant, pock, pockmark, point, portray, positive, prick, printed matter, process, projection printing, proof, prove, publish, pug, pugmark, pull, pull a proof, punch, punctuate, puncture, put out, put to bed, put to press, reaction, recoil, reflex, register, reissue, render, repercussion, replica, represent, representation, reprint, reproduction, response, riddle, roman, root, rotogravure, rub, rubber-block print, run, run off, sans serif, scar, scarify, schematize, score, scotch, scrape, scratch, script, sculpture, seal, seam, seat, semi-matte, set, set in, setoff, settle, shank, shoulder, sigil, signet, slide, small cap, small capital, speck, speckle, splotch, spot, stain, stained glass window, stamp, stat, steel, stem, stencil, step, stereotype, stigmatize, still life, stipple, streak, striate, strike, stripe, stud, sunken part, symbolize, tableau, take a rubbing, tapestry, tattoo, text, thumbmark, thumbprint, tick, tick off, tool, trace, trace out, trace over, transparency, triptych, type, type body, type class, type lice, typecase, typeface, typefounders, typefoundry, underline, underscore, upper case, vestige, vignette, wall painting, wedge, wood engraving, woodblock, woodcut, woodprint, wording, write, writing, xylograph